Christian voice through love
Member login

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Member login
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said

Go down

The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said Empty The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said

Post by twin spin Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 am

After the Israelites set out from Rephidim, they entered the Desert of Sinai, and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain. Then Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the house of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.

Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.” So Moses went back and summoned the elders of the people and set before them all the words the LORD had commanded him to speak. The people all responded together, “We will do everything the LORD has said.” Exodus 19: 2-8

Most people I know understand the word “hypocrite” to have this definition: to say one thing and then do another. However according to that definition everyone is a hypocrite. Not one person has ever fully followed through on every word they have said. “I will get up early and start my workout to lose that 15 pounds this month.” “I’m going to eat healthier.” “I will call my parents each week to see how they are doing.”

By that definition some may want to call the Israelites hypocrites. They had just received God’s words through Moses from the top of Mount Sinai. Just months earlier God had delivered them from the hand of Pharaoh as they passed safely through the Red Sea. They were ready to do whatever the Lord their God said. Their hearts of faith were burning in love, fear and awe for the Lord. Their Lord rescued them from slavery in Egypt and was leading them to the Promised Land!

Like the Israelites, I know the Lord. I know the wonderful, gracious, merciful things God has done for me by sending his Son Jesus to be my Savior. I certainly don’t deserve such compassion through Jesus who has freed me from slavery to sin, death and the devil. On top of that he has given me the sure hope of the heavenly, eternal Promise Land. My heart of faith can’t help but respond: “I will live for and serve my God! I will do whatever he tells me in his Word!”

The sad part, for you, for me, for everyone, is that while we are still on this side of heaven, we are all still infected with a sinful selfish nature that seeks – not what God wants – but what WE want. This sinful nature, this old evil self is exactly why we continue to fall into sin, even when we’ve told God that we won’t do that anymore. We must recognize this enemy within us so that we learn there is only one source of help and rescue: God our Savior.

In humility let us daily return to the Lord, the God of free and faithful grace, and confess our many sins. Let us go to Jesus whose blood cleanses us from all unrighteousness. Let us listen to God who holds open the door to the Promised Land of heaven. Let us then rightly respond and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, strive daily to live according to his Word.

Prayer:

Lord, you alone know my many faults, sins and shortcomings. Forgive me, O Lord and renew my spirit each day that I may live for you more and more. Amen.

twin spin
Admin

http://christian-voice.com

Back to top Go down