Christian voice through love
Member login

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Member login
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeremiah the weeping prophet. Being a Christian isn't always fun

Go down

Jeremiah the weeping prophet.  Being a Christian isn't always fun Empty Jeremiah the weeping prophet. Being a Christian isn't always fun

Post by twin spin Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:49 am

You understand, O LORD; remember me and care for me. Avenge me on my persecutors.
You are long-suffering—do not take me away; think of how I suffer reproach for your sake.
When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight,
for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty.
I never sat in the company of revelers, never made merry with them;
I sat alone because your hand was on me and you had filled me with indignation.
Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable?
Will you be to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails?
Therefore this is what the LORD says: “If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.
I will make you a wall to this people, a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you but will not overcome you,
for I am with you to rescue and save you,” declares the LORD.
“I will save you from the hands of the wicked and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel
.” Jeremiah 15:15-21

Being a Christians isn't always fun. You'd think it would be. After all, here we are representing God almighty, forgiven, knowing the truth, going to heaven. You'd think that every day as his child would be a joyful one. But we have all had it happen. "You mean you really believe all that stuff in the Bible?" "All that walking on the water, being swallowed by a fish....?" Then there are the moral issues that make it seem like the whole world is on a different page. There are the things that people do that we know we can't be involved in, so we sit out feeling sorry for ourselves and wondering why Christianity is no fun. If you think you have it bad, read the book of Jeremiah.

Jeremiah is known as the weeping prophet so you know he didn't have much fun. The Lord chose him to tell the people of Jerusalem that unless they repented, all kinds of evil would befall them. Consequently nobody liked Jeremiah. He was always so negative. He brought everybody down. He didn't have many friends. And in our reading today he is feeling particularly sorry for himself. God's response to Jeremiah is clear. Repent! There is nothing like realizing where we would be without our God to help us appreciate what we have with him. And then the Lord tells him to stand firm, to turn these people to him and don't turn to them. And through it all, God promises to take care of him.

Being chosen to be representatives of God Almighty and to speak for him will always be a great honor. We can never make a difference if we are just the same. God has called us to stand out from the crowd, to "turn them to us and not turn to them." Sometimes it doesn't feel good to stand out there all alone. God's word to Jeremiah and to us is that when we are out there, we are anything but alone.

Prayer:

Lord, forgive me for the times I have acted like being your child is a burden. Give me the courage to stand for you and with you. Amen.

twin spin
Admin

http://christian-voice.com

Back to top Go down